Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Crockpot Tortilla Soup

My sweet friend Amy has just put on bed rest for pregnancy related complications...and what's a friend to do to help...but cook!  One of the best things someone brought to me while I was on leave with Markey was tortilla soup!  Was a refreshing meal and so tasty!

The crockpot was a great way to make this.  Seriously just DUMPED everything in the pot, and let it cook!  I did save a serving for myself to try, but Amy said she had it for dinner and lunch and it was delish!

Ingredients:
2 frozen chicken breasts
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can Rotel
3 TBSP tomato paste
1 c frozen corn
1 TBSP cumin
1 TBSP chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
1 box low sodium chicken broth

I think that was about it. I cooked mine on low for about 6 hours.  About an hour before I was finished, I opened the crock to shred up the chicken and then let it continue to cook.  I brought it to Amy with a bag of shredded cheese, a bag of tortilla chip strips and 2 avocados!  I am so glad she enjoyed it and I look forward to trying to myself tomorrow for lunch! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment